Hybrid vehicles aren’t necessarily the right choice for every driver in Longmont. That being said, there are still many drivers out there who are hoping to be more environmentally friendly in their everyday life, including their driving habits. With that in mind, here are some tips to help you “drive green”
Tips for Environmentally Friendly Driving
- Slow down: Driving slower can actually help to save on gas. In fact, did you know fuel economy decreases about 1% for each and every mph over 55? You can even use your overdrive gears and cruise control to help keep a consistently slower speed.
- Smooth and steady: Hard starts and stops can burn a lot more gas than necessary. Avoid riding the brakes and instead keep your pace as steady as possible. Speeding up and slowing down consistently can mean more fuel burned. Not only is this helpful for environmentally friendly purposes, but it also means you can save money at the pump.
- Reduce additional weight: If there’s anything in your car you don’t need, be sure to empty it out. Remember: more weight in your vehicle means more fuel wasted.
- Check your tires: By keeping your tires filled you can improve fuel economy by up to 3%.
- Minimize idling: We know it isn’t always possible, but try to avoid idling whenever you can. If you’re stopping your car for longer than 30 seconds, you’ll save a lot more on fuel if you simply turn your engine off.
- Keep up with vehicle maintenance: While you’re busy focusing on all the other tips we just covered, basic car maintenance shouldn’t be forgotten either! Make sure you keep a close eye on your car and complete checks regularly. The better shape your vehicle is in, the better it will run and the more you can save on fuel.
Call 1st American Insurance Today
We’ve covered several tips that not only help you drive in a more environmentally friendly fashion but also help you save money on gas too. At the same time, we know it’s also important to be sure you’re saving money while also having adequate car insurance in Longmont. We are ready to help and eager to offer our assistance! Call us today to find out what we can do for you.